Introduction to Informatica
Informatica is an ETL tool which is used to simplify the ETL operations. Informatica provides an environment that allows you to load data into a centralized location, such as a data warehouse or operational data store (ODS). You can extract data from multiple sources, transform the data according to business logic and load the transformed data into file or in target tables.
What is ETL?
ETL stands for Extract, Transform and Load.
- Extraction – Extracting the data from different sources (it can be flat files, different databases).
- Transformation – Business logic that can be applied on data to fulfill the requirement.
- Loading – After applying the transformation, loading the data into the targeted file or database.
Reporting and Analyzing – Business users wants the reports that consists of data for the business purposes in order to analyze with the data. In such cases ETL is widely used.
- How much the product sold in this country by this time?
- How many people used this product for this type of transaction?
For such questions the reports answers.
Power center Tools
- Workflow Manager.
- Workflow Monitor.
- Repository Manager.
It is a tool which is used to do the ETL operation. It consists of five components.
- Source Analyzer – Import or create source definitions.
- Target Designer – Import or create target definitions.
- Transformation Developer – Develop transformations to use in mappings. You can also develop user-defined functions to use in expressions.
- Mapplet Designer – Create sets of transformations to use in mappings. It is a re-usable component which can have more than one transformations.
- Mapping Designer – Create mappings that the Integration Service uses to extract, transform, and load data. It shows the entire mapping between the source and the targets
In the Workflow Manager, you define a set of instructions to execute tasks such as sessions, emails, and shell commands. This set of instructions is called a workflow.
The Workflow Manager has the following tools,
- Task Developer – Create tasks you want to accomplish in the workflow.
- Worklet Designer – Create a worklet in the Worklet Designer. A worklet is an object that groups a set of tasks. A worklet is similar to a workflow, but without scheduling information. You can nest worklets inside a workflow.
- Workflow Designer – Create a workflow by connecting tasks with links in the Workflow Designer. You can also create tasks in the Workflow Designer as you develop the workflow.
You can monitor workflows and tasks in the Workflow Monitor. You can view details about a workflow or task in Gantt Chart view or Task view. You can run, stop, abort, and resume workflows from the Workflow Monitor. You can view sessions and workflow log events in the Workflow Monitor Log Viewer.
It can perform the admin operations such as user creation, providing the rights to the users, creating groups, monitoring the flows, etc.,